Sunday 17 May 2009

Desalle sixth after Spain


Photo: CDS

After six rounds in the 2009 MX1 World Championship, Clement Desalle is the revelation of the season so far. Desalle is currently sixth in the point standings, a place he shares with Estonian Tanel Leok. Despite the blistering heat in Spain today, the LS Motors-Honda rider showed his potential once more with a brilliant second place in heat one behind former GP-winner Jonathan Barragan. In the second heat « Le Panda » seemed to be in the running for yet another podium finish. However he would miss the podium for just two points. In the GP-overall the 19 year-old ended up fourth on equal points with German rider Max Nagl. In two weeks time the British GP is the next round on the World Championship calendar.


Clément Desalle: "Things went decent, both yesterday and today. Despite that I couldn’t claim a real top result. That’s why I have mixed emotions about this GP. In heat one I started as sixth but was able to make my way up to second. But Barragan was way too strong and out of my reach. In the second heat I got away in around eight place. I was able to pass Cairoli and Barragan’s crash put me in fifth. However the track was really treacherous in some place and that’s why I played it safe in the remainder of the second heat."


Dennis Verbruggen continues to improve


Dennis surprised a lot of people by taking fourth behind Van Horebeek, Goncalves and Guarneri, aboard hisCRF250R during Saturday’s qualifying race. However he wasn’t able to repeat Saturday’s performance in the GP. Nevertheless, Verbruggen rode a decent first heat, ending in twelfth. In the second race, Crusty, would throw the towel after just two laps. The victory in the Spanish GP went to Verbruggen’s fellow countryman Jeremy Van Horebeek. Verbruggen is now 25th in the MX2 point standings.


Dennis Verbruggen: "I felt super after Saturday’s fourth place. So I started heat one with quite some expectations. I

had a reasonably start. After a slight dip, halfway through the race, I was able to come back strong and finish in 12th. My start in the second race was ok, but I got passed several times during the first few laps. After yesterday’s result that just demoralized me so much I called it quits. I know I shouldn’t have done that but at that moment I just couldn’t go through with it."