Sunday 10 May 2009

'Kickash' does it again!



Photo: CDS


WMA Champion Ashley Fiolek (18) steered her CRF 250R to a third place in today’s WMX GP of Portugal. The fast American was also third on Saturday. This not only meant that ‘KickAsh’ took her second consecutive podium but also that she was second in WMX standings, laying 14 points behind points leader Lancelot. However, this was Ashley’s last race for now because from now on she will focus on defending her American Women’s title. Elien De Winter will look back with mixed feelings on Agueda. After a severe injury Elien is gaining momentum but she clearly needs to rack up race miles to up her speed. Elien was 12th on Saturday and 10th on Sunday. In the WMX standings however she gained two spots jumping from 11th to 9th. Both LS Motors-Honda lasses served as camerawomen this weekend. Ashley rode some laps with an helmet camera as Elien put in some laps to show the track to the TV audience.


Ashley Fiolek: "On Saturday I missed my start but my riding was also lacking. It seemed like I was stuck in a rut. On Sunday it was a different story with deep ruts all over the track. But that’s how I like it! I clinched the holeshot and was able to attack more than during the first moto. It was good to be able to follow Lancelot’s pace in that second heat. On the other hand I’m a bit sad to say goodbye to the GP’s now that I’m second in the points standings. But I knew beforehand that my priority is defending my American title with Red Bull/Honda. Hopefully, some day I will be able to do the whole GP series. But I’m still young so I have plenty of time!"