Sunday 17 May 2009

Another top ten for Elien


Photo: CDS


One week after Agueda in Portugal the Womens Motocross World Championship moved to yet another new location on their calendar : Bellpuig. The Catalan track would turn out to be a positive experience for Elien. Two ninth places and a good rythm confirmed the good streak of Belgium’s leading MX lady. De Winter took also ninth overall and remains ninth as well in the WMX point standings. Because of her American commitments Ashley Fiolek was not present in Spain. The next GP of the WMX championship is the French GP in Ernée on june 6-7.

Elien De Winter: "There was a huge difference with Portugal. Things went a lot better this weekend. I got a good

feeling right from practice. That feeling was confirmed in the qualifications. In the first heat I got a good start when I was third. I wanted to follow Laier and Papenmeier but lost the front in a corner. As a result of that my front brake lever got destroyed. I didn’t lose a lot of places because of the crash. But riding without a front brake was not easy and that’s how I ended in ninth.

In the second heat I had a real bad start and it took a while before I could find the right rhythm. After that my pace was ok. But I was behind American rider Sarah Whitmore for most of the heat. Even if I was quicker it was really difficult to pass her because there was only one line. That was a bit of a bummer, but I know now that I need to be more aggresive in the beginning of the heats. I’ll be working on that in the next few weeks."