Tuesday 19 May 2009

Happy birthday Clément!

Artwork: Tom Jacobs

Today, 19th of May 2009, Clément Desalle celebrates his 20th birthday. Over the last two seasons the promising Belgian has established himself as one of the future stars of the MX1 class and the Honda mounted rider is currently not only the youngest in the top ten, he’s also the highest ranked privateer in the MX1 World Championship. While he’s racing only his fourth season in the premier class, Clément has already made a name for himself on the international scene grabbing the runner-up title in the ADAC Masters last year and claiming four heat podiums in GP’s this season.

With an amazing line-up for so many years it’s very challenging for any up and coming rider from Belgium to get noticed, but Desalle’s recent form has gained him recognition both at home and abroad. Below is a small selection of people wishing ‘Panda’ a happy birthday, each in their own way. At least there’s some consolation for the man himself who has a visit to his dentist scheduled today… Joyeux anniversaire, Clément!


If you wan to download the wallpaper of the 'MX Panda' please visit our friends at Motocrossmag here: http://www.motocrossmag.be/2009/05/20/motocross-mxgp-telechargez-le-wallpaper-clement-desalle/


Joël Robert (MX legend, 6-time world champion, 50-time GP winner)

"I’m following Clément for quite some time and as I see it getting up to speed in GP’s is like catching a train. Before he was just able to catch the last railway carriage and now he’s getting closer to the locomotive! He’s on the right direction and I hope he can continue to improve because he has all the ingredients to become a champion. So I wish him the best of luck, off the track Clément remains level-headed and I hope he doesn’t change. And the most important thing is not to crash too often of course!

Steven Lettani (LS Motors-Honda Team Manager and owner)

"Obviously this is our first season with Clément but I’ve been really impressed by his fighting spirit and the professionalism that he and his family display. It’s a great joy for LS Motors-Honda to work together with such a rider! We will continue to support him in the best possible way to achieve his goals. Happy Birthday Clément!"

Paul Malin (MX of Nations winner, vice world champion, came fourth overall in the 500 World

Championship at the age of nineteen, Youthstream/Motors TV commentator and journalist)

“Clément caught my eye last year, but he was still a little bit wild, maybe because of his age and being on a big bike. When I saw him again in Faenza on the Honda he was a changed man! That’s not to hold anything against the Suzuki he rode last year but I think the CRF suits him really well. He looks more smooth and more comfortable. Furthermore he impressed me with his intelligence and race craft, especially in Portugal. Clément is not afraid of anyone and I’m sure there’s much more to come. Good luck at the dentist and happy birthday!”

André Malherbe (MX legend, 3-time world champion, Honda icon)

“I have been keeping track of Desalle’s progress and I’m really impressed with him! It’s clear that he has a lot of skills on the bike and he’s smooth in his riding. He’s in good shape and has a bike that seems to work well so he could get a top five overall this season. To me from all of the Belgian riders -and considering his youth- Clément is our brightest hope. I believe he can fight for the world title next year. But for now he just needs to enjoy his birthday!”

Cloe Desalle (sister and personal assistant)

“It took a while for my brother to start competing actually! He did his first local race only when he was 11. Before than he just wanted to ride with his dad and two local riders he was coaching, but when Clémént did his first race he won both heats. He has a lot of determination and knows what he wants. Few people realize how he didn’t take the easiest options. Managing school and racing was certainly not simple but he got his certificate without delay. Being his older sister I’m biased of course but he’s just a cool guy to hang out with as well and people who get to know him realize he has a great sense of humour. We’re all very proud of him, joyeux anniversaire, Clément!”

Georges Jobé (MX legend, 5-time world champion, one of the few privateers to win a world title, in 1987

on a Honda CR 500)

“We are thrilled finally to have a strong rider from Wallonia again. Clément has been impressive in some of the previous GP’s so I think that his first win can’t be too far off now. I wish him a splindid birthday and the career he’s dreaming of!”

Roger Harvey (Former British GP star, Honda Racing off-road manager)

“Clément absolutely stands out because of his attitude. At the races, he’s very focused and serious bout the job at hand. Even after a good ride he won’t be satisfied easily. That’s very refreshing to see from such a young guy! But I know there’s a different more mellow side to Clément as well and over time I think we will get to see some more of that. Happy birthday Clément!”

Gérald Wery (Belgian TV commentator and journalist, RTBF)

"Ah I remember when I saw Clément riding for the first time. It was in Ernée three years ago and his style immediately reminded me of Ricky Carmichael! By the way, I’m convinced that he will get his first win this year in Ernée. And there’s two reasons, first of all that’s where I first witnessed his talent and secondly because I will be there with a cameraman to report it!”

Joël Smets (5-time world champion, BMW enduro ambassador, MX of Nations Team Belgium manager,

color commentator Sporza)

"For us in Belgium it’s great to have a French-speaking guy at the top again. As a coach of the Belgian MXoN team I can only be happy if I have more strong riders to chose from! When me and Stefan (Everts) were racing we had a lot of support in the southern part of Belgium and I’m sure it will be the same for Clément with Flemish people, that’s how sports can bring people together. Clément is a guy with a lot of guts and energy and that’s something I really appreciate. He does his talking on the track with the throttle. On top of that he’s not intimidated by anyone and that should suit him well when he gets to go head to head with the Americans in the Nations. Broaaap, broaaap Clément!

PS I will announce my MXoN pre-selection after the GP of Sweden…"

Pascal ‘Pasky’ Bayl (French top designer, OCD)

“From the first time I met Clément he struck me as friendly and approachable. He’s certainly a great talent destined to go far. I like his riding style as well, it’s fluent and efficient- that’s how I like to design as well! When I was asked to design his helmet we started playing around with the Panda theme and I think it’s quite cool because as ‘mascotte’ the panda is so unusual in motocross. Enjoy your day MX-Panda!"

François Lemariey (Clément’s mechanic, LS Motors Honda)

“Clémént has ended his 19th year in great fashion, after the milestone of 20 I’m sure he will continue to improve! So here’s to a new decade and more success!"

Christophe Desmet (Belgian photographer and mxworld.be editor)

“For a photographer ‘Panda’ is an excellent rider to have in front of your lense. The action explodes around him, he’s

aggressive yet playful on the bike. Certainly he’s one of the most flamboyant riders from Belgium with a style that’s more influenced by the Americans. It’s going to be interesting to see what he has in store for us in the months and years to come. Go Clément!”