Monday 15 June 2009

Interview with Clément Desalle

Photo: CDS - Words: Tom Jacobs


One thing is for sure, Clément Desalle is a versatile racer like few others. The talented Honda rider feels at home on any soil and in spite of his age he has a wide experience on a variety of tracks. With Teutschenthal this weekend ‘MX Panda’ gets to ride a track he’s very familiar with. Not only has he raced GP’s on the ‘Talkessel’ he participated in a few German nationals as well. Desalle in fact grabbed an ADAC MX Masters podium in Teutschenthal two years ago. An encore of that feat at GP level is not unlikely given Desalle’s recent form. Or can Clément immediately follow the footsteps of Mickael Pichon (on the picture next to Desalle), the last Honda mounted MX1 rider to win the German GP? The iconic Dane surprised friends and foes alike with a shock double heat win in 2004...


What’s your take on the track in Teutschenthal?

Clément Desalle: “It’s a track that doesn’t seem to change a great deal over the years. So we all know what to expect! I heard they have made minor modifications this year so that will be interesting. Teutschenthal is obviously hard pack so it’s hard to make the difference, but I’m sure we’re going to have fun with the track.”


Teutschenthal is a special track for you as well?

Clément Desalle: “Absolutely, it’s the place where I got my first ever GP point in 2006! That’s something I won’t

forget, because getting your first point in GP’s is something to rememember for every rider.”


In Ernée you slid off twice in a short amount of time. Was this a typical case of overeagerness and a

youthful lack of experience?

Clément Desalle: “I didn’t have a great start in the second race, but I knew I had the speed to push to the front quickly. So after my first mistake I went down twice, the second crash right after the other. Still I don’t think that’s a case of lacking experience. It’s just one of those things that can happen in a mechanical sport. David Philippaerts made mistakes in Ernée as well, and there’s a guy with plenty of experience! So if even the Worldchampion went down, it could happen to anyone, don’t you think? Man, Ernée on Sunday was just one of those

days you want to forget as quick as you can!”


Since the French GP you ticked another box on the list of milestones, by taking you’re first pole pole

postion. I guess now the waiting for your first heat and GP win has now really begun?

Clément Desalle: “(smiles) Obviously it’s cool to get your first pole position, and the Lovemytime award but winning a GP is something different alltogether. In the end it’s more symbolic when you win a pole, because it doesn’t earn you points and you have to start all over again on Sunday. As far as winning goes that’s just part of the expectations that start to build with people. That’s natural I guess, but Id on’t feel any pressure because of that. Will I win before this season is over? No one knows, and I can’t predict when it will happen, all I know is that I will push as much as I can to make it happen.”


You’re the first privateer in the MX1 World Championship. Don’t you think it’s a pity not to be on a

factory team?

Clément Desalle: “No, it’s not such a big deal really. Besides it was my own choice to ride for a private team! I’m having a good time with LS Motors-Honda and they’re working hard to give me the best possible equipment. In the end there isn’t such a big difference either. On the positive side riding for a privateer team allows you to ride more carefree as well, there’s no pressure to reach a fixed objective. The team just wants me to do my best.”