Tuesday 1 September 2009

A fighting sixth for Verbruggen

Photo: CDS


What was probably the toughest race of the season turned out to be a really test of character for former European MX2 champ Dennis Verbruggen. Just over two weeks ago Verbruggen broke his left radius. However Dennis battled the pain and discomfort to claim sixth overall. As a result the LS Motors-Honda rider climbed up to 13th in MX2 world standings. The MX2 GP of the Netherlands was won by Musquin, ahead of Goncalves and Roczen.


Dennis Verbruggen Given the circumstances I couldn’t be more happy with my result this weekend. It wasn’t just the injury at such that bothered me also the fact that I had to change my riding position. In the first moto I was going at my own pace but because so many others crashed I still finished sixth, in spite of a bad start. The track was really tricky today especially in the second moto. I tried to use the same strategy, but again I had a difficult jump from the gate and the gap with the top eight was too big.”