Sunday 19 July 2009

Successful MX2 debut for Verbruggen

Photo: CDS

LS Motors-Honda's MX2 rider Dennis Verbruggen rode to an excellent fifth overall in what was his first outing on the Honda CRF450R, yesterday in Nismes at the third round of the Belgian championship. Verbruggen jumps rom a tenth to a sixth in the championship standings..


In the first heat Dennis came back from seventh to fourth but would be overtaken by Josh Coppins in the last lap. Together with team mate Clément Desalle, Crusty would even dominate the opening stages of the second heat. While Desalle extended his lead lap after lap, Verbruggen was a shock third leaving many top MX2 regulars behind hilm. Unfortunately the former European champion was a bit to generous with the power of his CRF450R and lost his thirdposition to Josh Coppins. Dennis ended up fourth in front of Ramon and Priem.


In the last heat Dennis Verbruggen had his weakest start of the day and wouldn’t find the speed of his previous heats. This meant he lost every chance to be on the podium, although he would end the heat in sixth. His fifth overall was also a new career best for Dennis in the open class, who previously raced the United Telecom Trophy in 2007.


Dennis Verbruggen: “My first race on the CRF450R was definitely a confidence booster, although I had very few practice on the MX1 bike. Today, I felt good on it right away and I really enjoyed myself. Despite that the last heat was a bit of a bummer. I really felt that I could do better. I will do the rest of the Belgian Championship on my CRF450R. Mainly because it just increases my chances in the Open class, but also because I want to gain some experience before I could switch to MX1 full time in 2010. That's something I consider, but I haven't made my mind up yet.”